I’m stopping my 365 days of design early. Really early. But it’s all for very good reasons:
I made sales. A lot of sales. More sales than I thought I could do with just slapping some designs up on Redbubble!
I found my style. I finally felt like I wasn’t copying someone else’s style or the styles that I see everyday on Instagram. I was doing my own work that came from the core of my creative self. And those were the patterns that sold the most!
I had enough patterns that I was proud of tosubmit my work to UPPERCASE magazine for their upcoming Surface Pattern edition. Even if I don’t get selected, just the fact that I felt confident enough to give it a try speaks volumes.
My imposter syndrome slunk away. I’m sure it’s still lurking around the corner, but hey, at least it’s feeling ashamed of itself right now.
But most importantly, I am actually trying to build a viable side business. I have a full time job that I work hard at (and I actually love), and I am a mom, and a partner. As such, I have limited time and limited energy and if I want to move this forward and grow my business, I need to focus for a bit on the actual business side of things.
So far I’ve been doing the spray and pray method of promoting my art, now it’s time to develop strategies, get focused, and do what needs to be done to take this thing to the next level. I’m currently taking a workshop to help me out on that aspect, because this is territory that I’m pretty unfamiliar with.
No regrets. This is not giving up; this is making the right decision to move to the next stage because it’s the right time. I’m really proud of myself, and really excited for the next steps.
I took the pussywillow design from yesterday and turned it into a repeat pattern. One part of the process to make it into a repeat pattern is to pull it into Illustrator and do an image trace. I’m usually quite satisfied with this process, however this time due to the painterly quality of the original, I felt like it lost a bit too much of the qualities that I liked. It went from a painterly feel to a definite vector image feel. I have to think how I can try to do this same thing in photoshop where I can retain the original quality. I might try this again tomorrow to see if I can figure it out.
Life is nearly back to normal after the holidays, and I’m jumping right back in with both feet! I thought I might play catch up over the next few days to get me back on track!
Today I repurposed my bees and cone flowers from the previous design, creating two new patterns. One is a structured bee pattern, which I’m not so crazy about. I think I may try this again tomorrow but with a single bee rather than both, because the overall effect is a little strange.
The second one I’m pretty excited about solely because I’ve learned how to do half drop repeat patterns! It was much easier than I imagined, and it’s something I’ve been wanting to learn how to do for a while now. Again, it’s not perfect, but it’s a new technique I will work hard to perfect.
I’m still on plants and decided to finally do it – a flower. I chose a cone flower, I find them wonderful – substantial and unconventional. I started by painting but realized I wanted to pull it back and just do a lovely line drawing. Here’s where I ended up.
Tomorrow, the plan is to draw some ore variations, then maybe some bees, and put them all together into a pattern repeat. Today, I just have the single image.
See it on Redbubble, where I put it on a reddish pink background – my favorite shade of pink.